I just subscribed to the mailing list through the online form. Why haven't I received a confirmation email?
We use an email distribution service called MailChimp, and some email providers mark "newsletter" type emails as spam by default. In Gmail, they may instead go to the Promotions tab in the inbox. They also sometimes take a little while to arrive. Please check your spam folder, your Promotions tab (if applicable), and give it up to 24 hours.
If you think you may have gotten the confirmation email but deleted it by mistake, you can issue yourself a new one by simply filling out the form again.
Finally, it is very improbable, but possible, that your ISP has blocked the confirmation email. If you have done all of the above and still no email, you may have to talk to your ISP.
I got a confirmation email and successfully confirmed my email address, or I thought I had been added to the list. Why am I not getting any further emails?
There are a few possibilities...
- We don't send emails every day, so there may not have been any information to communicate yet. If in doubt, most important scheduling announcements will be reflected in the fixture here on the website.
- If there's a chance you have not been added to the list yet, try signing up. (If you get an error that your email address is already on the list, that is not the problem.)
- If you signed up via the online form, we also have to confirm that new email addresses belong to a real member before we send them any messages. :) We try to do this ASAP, but sometimes it may take a day or two.
- Your email provider might not recognize us as an important contact yet, and may be blocking messages, sending them to Spam, or in the case of Gmail sending them to the Promotions tab. Add email@example.com to your contacts in your email program. In some cases, you may have to take further action, such as whitelisting our email address. Different email providers handle this differently, but here is how to do it in Gmail.
I used to get emails. Why am I not receiving emails anymore?
We have had a few people accidentally unsubscribe without realizing it. If you think you should be getting emails, try signing back up via our online form. If it does not give you an error, that is probably what happened.
If signing back up returns an error message that your email address is already on the list, either:
- Your email provider's filtering settings may have changed. Check your spam folder and, if using Gmail, your Promotions tab (or search for firstname.lastname@example.org to see if you can find any emails). Make sure email@example.com is still in your contacts, and take the appropriate action - depending on your email provider - to whitelist our email address.
- You are no longer a member!
If you are still having trouble, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What are the options for emails I can sign up for?
We send out four "extra" categories of emails, which you can choose from in your preferences. Fixture & scheduling information is sent out to everyone to whom it applies, regardless of the below settings.
- Hunt Recap - A review of each hunt. Great for staying updated on days you can't be in the field!
- Ladies Happenings - Updates on occasional ladies-only trail rides and festivities throughout the year.
- Ladies Book Club - Book Club meetings. Our Book Club is not always on a regular schedule, so it may be some time before you receive any messages on this subject.
- Volunteer Opportunities - Information on events we need volunteers for. (Brownie points!)
How do I whitelist Hillsboro Hounds emails in Gmail?
- Go to gmail.com in your browser on a computer (not on your phone) and sign in.
- Click the gear icon at the top right.
- Click "Settings" in the menu that pops up.
- Click the tab "Filters and Blocked Addresses."
- Click "Create a new filter."
- Enter email@example.com the "From" field in the box that pops up.
- Click "Create a filter with this search."
- Select "Never send it to Spam" and "Categorize as: Personal." Optionally, you can also "Always mark it as Important."
- If a checkbox appears next to the "Create filter" button that says "Also apply filter to xmatching conversations," check it to move any existing Hillsboro Hounds emails out of your spam folder.
- Click "Create filter".